Fast Fifteen with Matt Mills
- Why reining? I picked reining because I LOVE speed combined with finesse. I ended up training when I found someone that would actually pay me to do it. Getting paid to do something you love should be everyone’s goal!
- If you weren’t training horses, what would you be doing? If not reining, I’d be an analyst for ESPN.
Easy Otie Whiz was the great horse that helped Matt Mills secure a gold medal during the World Equestrian Games in Aachen, Germany
- If you could pick only pick one of your great horses from your career, which one would it be? I would probably have to pull Easy Otie Whiz back out. I knew he was good back then but I had no idea how rare individuals like that really are.
- What has been your biggest accomplishment? Keeping a good balance between work and family. That’s not easy to do in the horse business.
- In your mind, what are some of the top qualities in a great show horse?Hands down a great show horse has to be always willing. That quality alone can equal a lot of victories.
- What do you find yourself telling your clients the most? Be confident! Mistakes are ok, we all make them. But be decisive. Horses don’t do the grey area well.
- Who was one of your biggest mentors? Too many people to mention! Honestly I’ve learned a little something from all of my competitors at different times.
8. Is there a quote you live by? Stole this one: “Just go out and try your best, if you don’t... you lose.”
- What’s your favourite horse a competitor is showing? I have so many nice horses in my own barn that I really haven’t paid any attention to what others have!
- What is your favourite show of the season? Our Super Bowl: The NRHA Futurity is my favourite. We spend 2 years preparing young horses for this. It can be so up and down which makes success their So sweet.
- What is one thing you can’t live without on the road? Sunflower seeds
- Any surprising talents or hobbies outside of reining? Not a lot of time for serious hobbies with horses. I kind of dabble in them all. Golf, music, video games, and wine to name a few.
- Do you believe in superstitions? I stay away from the superstition thing because I couldn’t ever remember what I did at the last competition.
- Why is CR RanchWear your favourite? The quality of CR Ranchwear’s shirts are second to none. They also have the best fit!
- What’s your personal favourite shirt? All of my CR shirts are good but my favorite is whatever one my wife tells me to wear next! Lol